A Child is Born and a Son is Given
There are few greater verses that deal with the birth of Jesus than Isaiah 9:6. It details not only His birth, but Him being given as a sacrifice for our sins, His future reign as Kings of Kings and Lord of Lords, and also the names describing His person.
Isaiah 9:6 – “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.”
Praise the Lord that this Christmas a child was born in a manger these many years ago for the express purpose of God the Father offering up and sacrificing His Son for the sins of the world.
John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
Romans 8:32 – “He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?”
Hebrews 10:14 – “For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.”
The Government Shall be upon His Shoulder
Jesus is the great burden bearer. We weren’t meant to carry the burdens of life ourselves. If we try, we will surely buckle under its heavy load. Let the burdens of life rest upon His shoulders. He is able!
Matthew 11:28-30 – “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Psalm 55:22 – “Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.”
1 Peter 5:7 – “Casting all your care upon Him; for He cares for you.”
His Name Shall be Called
- Wonderful – Jesus is altogether wonderful. He is the bright and morning star, the lily of the valley, the one who alone can make life wonderful.
- Counselor – He is not simply wonderful, He is a Wonderful Counselor! Do you have problems? Do you need someone to talk to? Jesus is the best counselor you’ll ever find. Take your problems to the one who is touched with the feeling of our infirmities.
Hebrews 4:15 – “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our infirmities – weaknesses, but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.”
He’ll understand your problem like none other. You can unload your problems onto Him and He will carry your burden for you and lighten the weight of your cares, carrying them for you (Matthew 11:28-30).
- Mighty God – Jesus is not just a wonderful counselor, He is very God incarnate. He said to John the Revelator, “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, THE ALMIGHTY!” – Revelation 1:8
- Everlasting Father – Jesus is not God the Father, but God the Son. Why then is He called Everlasting Father? The father of anything is the originator of that particular custom or thing. Jesus is the originator of eternal life. He was the first to rise from the dead never to die again.
John 11:25-26 – “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”
Because He lives, we shall live also!
- The Prince of Peace – There will never be peace in this world of ours until “The Prince of Peace” returns. When He returns, then and only then will there be peace from shore to shore.
There will never be peace in our lives personally either until Jesus, “The Prince of Peace” reigns in our heart and life.
Ephesians 2:14 – “He is our peace.”
John 14:27 – “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you; not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
John 16:33 – “These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
Isaiah 26:3 – “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.”
Now may the Prince of Peace rule in your heart this Christmas season and throughout your entire life!